Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Music Memoir

Songs have an incredible ability to automatically bring me back to a certain time or make me think of a certain person or place. I found this website, Cassette From My Ex, that chronicles the stories people have about receiving mixed tapes and they even provide you with the actual tracks the tapes included. I thought I'd share that with you guys after Kat mentioned the essay "Thanks for the Memorex" by Sarah Vowell, and after a few people in class brought in items related to music.

Now I'm considering somehow connecting my memoir to music, maybe telling a story about how I will forever associate the song "Sweet Home Alabama" with the time I was on a roadtrip to Canada and we got pulled over for going 100 mph due to our overexcitement about the song. I have a lot of other crazy stories that I can connect with certain songs, but I'm not sure if I want to take my memoir in such a nostalgic direction? I find myself worrying about the tone of my memoir more then what I even write my memoir about...

No comments: