Tuesday, November 18, 2008

i'm going about this assignment as I would write a college personal essay (similiar to the one us transfer students had to write for the application). Sometimes the smallest detail is the answer to writing a memoir. I haven't really written a "memoir" but defintely a lot of personal essays. You can take one "scene" of your life, something that your mom had said, a conversation with a friend, some decision you made in life- a lot of these things go un-noticed adn we don't even think of the impact they actually, do in fact, have on our life.
i still don't know what I would like to write about- I do, but I almost don't want to write about it. But I guess sometimes the things you don't want to write about, you'll have a lot more to say and it'll all have more meaning.

2 comments:

Kat G said...

Good point Michelle. I think some of the "best" memoirs are the ones that are touchy subjects, subjects that you would rather ignore. There's a lot of rich complexity in the emotional details.
I agree that you can go about it like a "personal essay" for college, but be sure that you are making it more of a narrative (with scene) than exposition.

sheri labeouf said...

Is there anyway you could tell me what the assignment is? I flew home for thanksgiving, and left my assignment paper at home:-( Thanks!