Tuesday, March 17, 2009

A Genre I Found: The Guestbook.

I was at the apartment my girlfriend, er..."lady friend" got and came across a genre I hadn't thought of. The guestbook. Conventions include having to be handwritten (it's a notebook left on a table, nobody is going to type something into it), and apparently all the information in it has to be positive (someone left a note indicating that a page had been ripped out because someone said harsh things about the owners).
Looking through the guestbook, I saw many people had indicated the same restaurants and tourist attractions, often directly responding to previous entries (which is funny, because you really only write in a guest book once and never see it again, so why respond to some things?) Another convention is that it obviously has to be collaborative.
I dug it.

No comments: