Saturday, December 13, 2008

At first I questioned why we were writing a memoir for a Research Writing class. But as I got more and more into the memoir writing piece, I realized how much research actually goes into it! I didn't talk to other people to write my memoir, but I looked back on pictures that basically showed a timeline of my memoir and then I looked back on letters/messages and that was when I realized how much research actually goes into writing a piece like this.
I personally enjoyed writing the memoir out of all the projects we have done this semester. I really did enjoy working in my group for the third project [but that's because we all got along really well and had fun with our project]. However, this project I feel like I put a lot into it and even, without thinking about grades, got a lot out of it. Writing such a memoir made me look at how I've grown and who in my life has made me do so.
Also, I really think that my new interest is graphic novels! Even comic books...which I never really showed much interest in. [Read the Archie Comics!!]

2 comments:

Kat G said...

Thanks for sharing this Michelle. I'm glad that you're not thinking about "the grade" with the memoir. Its actually a tricky one to put a grade to and, as I've discussed in class, its all about understanding the conventions of the genre. Also, I'm really glad that you see that there is A TON of research that goes into a memoir (particularly the longer pieces). Asking questions, returning to places, travel, documents, archives, music...it all matters JUST AS MUCH as reading an article from JSTOR. It is a different kind of research, but equally important!

Marcus Demmon said...

It depends how you want to spin it, in my opinion -- I think research is only necessary when you want to contrast your memories of an event with what actually occurred. Otherwise, I think it more interesting to rely solely on your memories -- these create a cohesive story with an intrinsic narrative power all their own. Unless your research necessarily complements this in an undeniably important way, it will probably only hurt your story.